Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Homesick is the worst of all the sicknesses!

This normally doesn't happen to me, I love my home, and I love being able to go home. But I have never been one to miss it to the point where I become homesick. I will miss my family and a house in which I feel comfortable with everyone (most of the time anyway!) but I always know that it will be there for me when I need it or want it. So knowing that, I never lingered on the fact that I miss it deeply.
Today it caught up with me though. It was to the point of wanting to burst into tears at work. I even sent my mom a message at work and when she got back to me I had to turn around so no one in the cafe would see me welling up. Family is one of the most important things to me. Especially my family. I do care very much for the families that have adopted me into theirs, but it just isn't the same as my own. And even though I can't stand my family sometimes, they are it. I love them even when I don't like them. And I always will. There is nothing I can think of that would cause me to not love one of my family members.
Living where I do now has been very hard on me. It is the first time (that I remember) not living with a family. I lived with my dad when I was getting older, then with my mom when I was actually growing up, with my dad again when I needed a change after high school, and then with the Jensen's when I needed out. Now I am living with two roommates, and it is a major change. One that I thought I was ready for. But true be told, I am not ready to grow up sometimes. I still long for a mom to tell me to make my bed, clean my room, pick up my junk... I do those things on my own now, but I want a mom to make me do it sometimes. I want a mom to make me pb&j for lunch or get me medicine when I don't feel well. But I have to "put on my big girl panties" and do what I don't want to. It has been difficult to realize it, and very hard at times, but I will do what I have to.

I want to give you a little taste of my family. My mom is Shelley and her husband is Dan. They are two pretty awesome people, and even more awesome when they are together.
I am glad my mom has found the one who is right for her. This is them in Napa.

Then there is my sister Ashley, she is two years older than me and my best friend in the whole world. She is married to Tim who is so perfect for her. They are one of the cutest couples ever, and they are expecting! How exciting is that!? Her due date is Labor Day... of all days. They are both in the military, and he is currently in Iraq. They have a crazy life going on right now, but normal is not their thing. This is Christmas of this year. Just relaxing with my baby Teuila Belle. It was so great having Tim and Ashley with us that day.


Then I have April 18, Tim 16, Joe 15, Tom 13, Jim 12. They are some pretty super siblings. I could hug each one of them all day everyday. But they are not so into showing their love for each other as I might be! This is just April being April. She is so cute!
Here is Tim and Teuila Belle. He is laughing because of a secret santa present he got. It was the Vikings cheerleaders calendar! We all found it very amusing, even my mom, which was surprise for us all! I think as soon as he got the present open we all looked to my mom to see what her reaction would be. We had a good time with that one!

We laugh a lot! My mom said something funny then took a picture as we were still in shock that she said what she said! You put the three of us in a picture and this it typically what it looks like. But here is Joe and Ashley over Christmas break. Notice how we don't look alike at all! We are only half siblings, but still. Half, step, whatever! They are all my brothers and sisters anyway! Even if we don't resemble each other.

This is Tommy boy fishing over the summer on our annual camping trip. I think he caught the smallest fish ever! It was like 2 inches long! Oh my goodness was that funny. We have a really great time together, of course except for when we are wanting to strangle each other... but usually we are having fun!

And last but definitley not least, Jimmy. He has started asking us to call him James now, but whatever, he will always be a Jimmy. He was not feeling to well over Christmas, but he managed to smile in a picture. What a cutie.


That is my family. I love them like crazy! And right now more than ever, I miss them so much. But soon I will get to see them and it will quench my homesickness for a while. But for now I just have to remember that they are my family even if they are not close by. And that I will get to see them soon, even if it doesn't seem soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. Diane, that was one of the sweetest posts ever (from a Mom's perspective.) You just wrote what every Mom wants to hear from her kids someday -- "You're wacky, different than me, and some days I'm not even sure I like you, but I'd be utterly lost without you and I love you to pieces!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you Delilah, I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope my mom reads it and feels the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sniff sniff* yes i read it. you are precious. doubly so because you used one of the few pictures of me that i don't hate! i must remark about the singing comment in a previous post ... i am not a worse singer than you. in fact, i sound like whomever's song i am singing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, you are super cute in the picture and I love it. Also... hate to say it, but you are a horrible singer and so is my dad. That is why I can't. But yes, when the radio is turned up all the way, you sound just like them. ;)

    ReplyDelete

About this blog